Bomb hoax caller is spared prison

editorial image

A 38-year-old Lurgan woman has escaped being sent to prison after admitting making a hoax call claiming a bomb would be planted at the local jobs and benefits office.

Last Friday at Craigavon Magistrates Court, Sally Sarah Josephine Connors pleaded guilty to improper use of a public electronic communications network.

Court heard that Connors, from Monbrief Walk, was having problems with the benefits agency when the offence occurred on March 11 this year.

It was detailed how a 999 hoax bomb call was made at 4am. The caller claimed that a it would happen at the Lurgan jobs and benefits office between the date of the call and St Patrick’s Day.

There were further calls made and on the fourth call Connors identified herself.

When interviewed by police she made a full and frank admission.

District Judge Peter King said Connors had been in and out of prison for similar offences.

A defence solicitor said his client was having problems with the benefits agency at the time and was not on her proper medication. He explained that she had been drinking and the calls had more of an annoyance factor.

Judge King said Connors had 265 previous convictions and the offence clearly crossed the custody threshold.

After being sentenced to five months in prison, suspended for three years, Connors said: “Now I’ve this sorted I’m leaving the country.”