Disqualified driver caught

Craigavon Court House.
Craigavon Court House.
0
Have your say

Twice in six days a 32-year-old man was detected driving while he was disqualified, Craigavon Magistrates Court heard last Friday.

Imposing suspended custodial terms the judge said the defendant had shown a ‘cavalier attitude’ towards his driving ban.

Michael Norbet, Dill Avenue, Lurgan, was sentenced to three months in custody and banned for 18 months for driving while disqualified on February 12 this year.

For a second similar offence on February 18 he was sentenced to a concurrent term of four months.

On each of two offences of driving without insurance he was given concurrent two month prison sentences and banned for 12 months.

All the prison terms were suspended for two years.

The court heard that at 1pm on February 12 when police were dealing with an incident in Lurgan they saw a car drive into Dill Avenue.

Checks revealed there was no insurance for the car and the registered owner was disqualified.

On February 18 at 7.20pm police stopped the defendant at Charles Street and realised he was the same person they had seen driving on the previous occasion.

A solicitor representing Nobert said the defendant had placed himself in a grave position.

He added that the case would attract immediate custody but asked the court to consider suspending the sentence or imposing community service.

The case had been adjourned from a previous court so that a pre-sentence report could be obtained.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said one thing that concerned him greatly when he read the report was that in Poland and in Northern Ireland the defendant had worked as a van driver and should have been used to the driving laws.

Also, said the judge, Nobert didn’t regret the incident, because he may have lost his job he thought he could take the risk. Judge Bates said in view of his work record and family circumstances, he would suspend the custodial sentences.