When he was stranded without money at his ex-wife’s home near Lurgan a 50-year-old man decided to take his daughter’s car even though he was disqualified from driving.
Patrick Benedict Tobin, Iveagh Drive, Banbridge, admitted four motoring offences when he appeared last Wednesday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.
For driving while disqualified on May 29 this year he was fined £100, with a £15 offender’s levy, and banned for 18 months.
A £150 fine and a concurrent 18 month ban were imposed for not having insurance while he was fined £50 for taking a vehicle without permission and £100 for not having a vehicle test certificate.
The court heard that a police mobile patrol saw a car crossing the white lines at Monbrief East Road and they stopped it at Sugar Island Road.
Tobin admitted to them that he was disqualified from driving and he had taken the car without the permission of the owner.
He said that he had no other means of getting home from his ex-wife’s house in Lurgan. The offences happened within six weeks of him being disqualified for drink driving.
Mr Gabriel Ingram, representing the defendant, said Tobin had been at his ex-wife’s home in Derrymacash to do some odd jobs.
He explained that she had a mobility car which was taken by her daughter.
Mr Ingram added that Tobin was stranded and did not have any money so he took his daughter’s car.
District Judge, Mr Paul Copeland, said it was an irresponsible thing for the defendant to do within six weeks of being banned and warned him if he did it again he risked a possible jail sentence.