Suspended bus service re-instated

AN UPPER Bann MLA has welcomed news that a suspended bus service will be reinstated.

The service on the Tullygally Road was halted earlier this year after a number of hijackings in the area.

The SDLP’s Dolores Kelly said she gained assurances from Translink that a bus service will be available.

She said: “Many people depend on the bus service stopping on the Tullygally Road, particularly to take them to the local shopping centre.

“Currently, buses operate in this area but do not stop to pick passengers up on this section of road.

“Translink has informed me that it has decided to change its 51 service to operate along this section of the Tullygally Road to ensure that there will be on average, an hourly service between Lurgan and Rushmere Shopping Centre in both directions. The new route will hopefully be in service within the next six to eight weeks once licensing for the new route is agreed.

“This is to be welcomed and I commend Translink for listening to the needs of the people of this area.

“Three-hundred people signed a petition to have a service re-instated in this section of road and their hard-work and diligence has paid off.”

A spokesperson for Translink said: “Following a bus hijacking on May 19, Translink reinstated an altered service to the Ardowen, Meadowbrook and Drumbeg Estates.

“Two temporary bus stops haven been erected at the junction of Tullygally East Road and Old Portadown Road, adjacent to the main bus stop at Meadowbrook and Drumbeg.

“Services do not currently pass the Drumbeg Roundabout on Brownlow Road.

“Translink may review the possibility of re-routing the service past Drumbeg Roundabout, in conjunction with the local community and stakeholders.”