THROUGH THE ARCHIVES: Successful military concert held at Ulster Hall in aid of school funds
From the News Letter, March 12, 1892
The first of two concerts in aid of the debt-ridden Linfield schools was given at the Ulster Hall the previous night, the News Letter reported on this day in 1892.
The schools had been up until recent months been under the management of the late Reverend Dr Hanna but were now under the control of the Great Victoria Presbyterian Church.
There was a large attendance at the concert, noted the paper’s correspondent, which “assumed a military character” with the services of the band of the Rifle Brigade having been obtained through the kind permission of Colonel C H St Paul.
The Rifle Brigade’s band, observed the News Letter, were by no means strangers to concert-goers in Belfast and regularly received warm applause, indeed the paper’s correspondent wrote: “Last evening was no exception to the general rule. Their reception was as hearty as usual, and under the able conductorship of Mr Connor, they rendered with their accustomed good taste and accurateness the following items: Gavotte Stephanie (Czibulka), selection Paul Jones (Planquette), serenade La Paloma (Yradier), selection Dorothy (Cellier).”
In addition to this, noted the paper, Sergeant-Bugler Redman contributed “a well-played” cornet solo of The Better Land by Cowen.
An enjoyable evening at the Ulster Hall concluded with the band playing the National Anthem.
A full house expected that coming evening and concert-goers were to be treated to “a very interesting programme” with the list of artistes including the well-known Madame Belle Cole.