A TWO MINUTE silence was observed before the match at Davitt Park between St Peter’s and Carrickcruppen for gaelic pioneer Billie Barbour in 1983.
Billie was responsible for the foundation of Gaelic football clubs in North Lurgan area, died on the Saturday in New York.
In 1935 along with Joe Lavery and Charlie Welsh, he started a club in the Tannaghmore district. Orginally called Kevin Barry’s it later changed his name in 1937 to Clann Eireann.
Before moving to the United States at the end of the forties, Billie Barbour also helped set up St Peter’s in 1942.
With his help the “Lily Whites” overcome teething problems and went on to claim to being “Cock of the North” by 1952.