Students encouraged to check on TV licences

People need a TV licence.
People need a TV licence.

TV Licensing is encouraging students in Lurgan and Portadown to check to see if they need to buy a licence when they head off to university or college.

Students moved an average of 91 miles to study at university or college, according to new research published by TV Licensing.

Whatever the reason, TV Licensing is encouraging Portadown students moving away from their family home to check

Students need a licence if they are watching or recording TV programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, whatever device they are being viewed on. Generally speaking, students won’t be covered by a communal TV Licence or their parent’s licence. While it’s less common for students to take a TV to university with them, tablet ownership amongst students has more than doubled in the past year with over one in three students owning a tablet.

Mark Sterling, spokesperson for TV Licensing, said, “August is a really exciting time for many students going to university or college as they’ve got big changes ahead – especially those moving to a different part of the country. In the rush to get many tasks done, it is easy to overlook things like arranging your TV Licence. So we are encouraging students to think about it sooner rather than later, just so they can check it off the to-do list and focus on relishing in the student lifestyle.”

Mark Bell, President of University of Ulster Students’ Union, added, “Many first year students will be moving out of home for the first time, starting a new adventure at university. Some will be moving many miles from home, others, just around the corner. Regardless of where they’ve chosen to study, and their reasons for doing so, new students need to make sure they’re licensed if they are going to watch live TV whilst away at uni.”

For further information, simply visit:, or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6113.