Ben will be sadly missed

editorial image

A highly respected character, Lurgan man Ben Gentle will be sadly missed by his many family and friends.

Though only 49 years old when he passed away suddenly last Thursday, Ben made a huge impression in the world, filling it with kindness, generosity and fun.

From the William St area, Ben lived in Lurgan for many years before moving to Craigavon and was highly regarded in his own local community as well as far beyond these shores.

He was the salt of the earth and was well known for his kind deeds and good nature.

Many will remember him fondly waving from his van and smiling, maybe shouting out a greeting to his many friends.

Ben was renowned for his big smiling face and happy-go-lucky attitude.

Indeed his sense of humour was well known and he enjoyed the craic and doing the odd wind-up for fun.

He was a big happy man who loved and lived life to the full.

His favourite song was ‘Chewin the Fa’ a testament to his great sense of humour.

He was never off batter, always on the go and regarded as a very hard-working man.

He was smart and shrewd in business and kind-hearted and generous to all who knew him.

Many will have benefitted from his generosity. He often helped out those less fortunate with odd jobs around their house or helping them with heavy work, and more often than not, wouldn’t take a penny for it. He never asked anyone for anything but Ben was generous and would have given you the shirt off his back.

Ben had many hobbies but was particularly interested in hunting, dogs and horses.

He was well known in Scotland and England through his hunting career.

But primarily Ben was a family man. He loved and admired his mother and father Margaret and Arthur Gentle.

He adored his wife Rosie, his children and grandchildren.

He will be very sadly missed by his brother, sisters, nieces and nephews and by his large extended family and many many friends.

So well respected was Mr Gentle that many bars in Lurgan closed as a mark of respect during his funeral on Monday.

He was laid to rest at St John’s Lylo, following Requiem Mass at St Peter’s Church.