CCTV of theft used to '˜name and shame'

A 19-year-old man was sentenced to a total of 12 months in custody when he appeared via videolink last Friday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

Monday, 15th August 2016, 7:21 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 5:18 pm

He was Jonathon Barton, Hill Street, Lurgan, and he admitted a series of offences through his solicitor, Mr Conor Downey.

For attempted criminal damage to a car on March 17 this year he was given three months and two months for disorderly behaviour.

He was sentenced to six months for assaulting a police officer on May 22, six months for making a threat to kill and three months for disorderly behaviour.

For the theft of alcohol and mixers from D-Bees off licence on May 21 he was given a three month term.

All the sentences are to run concurrently with each other making a total of six months.

Two suspended sentences, totalling six months, were invoked to run consecutively making an overall sentence of 12 months.

The court heard that on March 17 police were called to a disturbance at Mark Street in Lurgan and the caller asked them to remove the defendant.

Inquiries revealed he had kicked a car window and he was arrested for an altercation in the street.

On May 22 at 1.30am Barton was arrested for a breach of court bail when he was found in public under the influence of alcohol.

He inflicted an injury to a police officer by head-butting him on the nose. Barton said: “I was getting my own back. He got me in Rushmere last time.”

He also warned an officer about a bomb under her car, made reference to the Continuity IRA and spat at a doctor.

On May 25 a staff member at D-Bees off licence said that a person known to her had taken items which amounted to £15.98.

The theft was captured on CCTV and put on Facebook to name and shame.

Mr Downey said that Barton had been in custody since May 22 and all the incidents related to the defendant’s intake of alcohol.

He explained that the attempted criminal damage offence happened when Barton became embroiled in an incident involving another person.

Mr Downey added that there was quite a lot of provocation and comments were made towards the defendant but he appreciated that he should not have become involved.

Referring to the theft offence Mr Downey said the CCTV showed Barton entering the off licence and then a person, in identical clothing but with his face covered, perpetrating the offence.

A barrister representing Barton for the last series of offences said the police officer suffered a broken nose and his client would apologise to the constable.

He explained that there had been some acrimony between Barton and the neighbourhood police officer.

The lawyer said that the defendant had taken far too much drink and after an argument there was a physical confrontation.

He said the threat Barton made was an empty one albeit it was frightening and nasty.