Claimed there was a threat to his life

Craigavon Courthouse. INPT21-239.
Craigavon Courthouse. INPT21-239.

After threats were made against him a 30-year-old man assaulted two police officers so he would be arrested because he was in fear of his life, Craigavon Magistrates Court heard last Friday.

And as well as public order offences the defendant pleaded guilty to breaking into a charity shop in Lurgan.

Andrew David Boyd appeared in court by way of videolink from Maghaberry prison.

He was sentenced to six months in prison for each of two assaults on police and a criminal damage charge on May 18 while concurrent three month terms were imposed for disorderly behaviour and resisting police.

For burglary and theft of money at the Hope charity shop in Union Street, Lurgan, he was jailed for a concurrent eight month term while three months were imposed for criminal damage to display cabinets in the shop.

The court heard that on May 18 just after 2am at Glenview Drive, Lurgan, police were approached by the defendant who was aggressive and shouting and swearing. He refused to calm down and was arrested.

Prior to his arrest it was alleged he had damaged a car. The windscreen and front windows were smashed, the fuel line had been pulled out and a tyre punctured. The car later had to be sold for scrap.

On April 20 a burglary took place at the Hope charity shop and money was missing from the till.

There were blood samples on the carpet and other samples found at the scene matched with the defendant.

When interviewed Boyd made a full admission and was very remorseful.

A barrister representing the defendant said he had a substantial record but there had been periods of non-offending and a pre-sentence report was positive.

He added that Boyd had now been in custody for four months and it was the first time he had been so long without drugs.

Referring to the first incident he explained that Boyd had an altercation with the person who owned the car and he went to damage the injured party’s vehicle.

He said that people then went to Boyd’s partner’s flat in the early hours of the morning to take retribution. A knife was wielded and threats made to Boyd.

The lawyer added that Boyd saw the police and told them he had damaged the car before giving off to officers and pushing them.

He said that the defendant wanted to be arrested and taken into custody because he feared for his life.

The barrister said Boyd had little recollection of the burglary offence and did not realise it was a charity shop because he broke in through the back door.

He was ‘ashamed and felt disgusted’ at what he had done, he added. Boyd had been living in Lurgan with his partner, who had now left the area, and it was his intention to move out of Lurgan.