Man jailed for hitting officer

Share this article

A young Lurgan man who punched a police officer and tried to head-butt another one was jailed for four months on Friday September 27 at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

He was 21 year-old Colin William John Hobbs, of Beech Court, Lurgan.

Through his solicitor, Mr Conor Downey, he admitted charges of disorderly behaviour and assault on the police on August 4 this year.

The case had been adjourned from a previous court so that a pre-sentence report could be obtained.

The court heard that a fight was going on between two males in Church Place, Lurgan.

They had fallen to the ground and one of them left the scene. The defendant, who was on his knees, was told to calm down by police.

But he raised his hand and punched an officer on the left cheekbone. In the police vehicle he tried to head-butt a second officer.

When interviewed by police he said: “I’m sorry mate.”

Mr Downey said that there was an air of inevitability about the matter.

Deputy District Judge, Mr Nigel Broderick, said Hobbs was in breach of a court order.

Mr Downey added that before Hobbs sobered up he did apologise to the officer and was genuinely remorseful.

Mr Downey said his client accepted police were trying to assist him to get him on his way.

The pre-sentence report indicated that the defendant was assessed as a medium risk of re-offending.

“This young man simply cannot handle alcohol and should not take it under any circumstances,” said Mr Downey.

He asked the court to consider some community based disposal or to increase the suspended sentence hanging over the defendant.

The judge told Hobbs that Mr Downey had said everything he could on his behalf but he was in breach of three suspended sentences.

For disorderly behaviour and assault on the police he was sentenced to three months in custody with the terms to run concurrently.

One month of the suspended sentences was put into operation.

This is to run consecutively to the other terms making a total of four months in custody.

Hobbs was also ordered to pay a £25 offender’s levy.