Defendant said gang would behead man

Share this article

A man who told a female that her father would have his head cut off and his body cut into little pieces was jailed and also made the subject of a two year restraining order last Wednesday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

Jason Bates (46) of Moyadam Close, Parkgate, Ballyclare, admitted that on August 25 last year he made, by means of a public communications network, a grossly offensive and menacing threat to kill a man.

The court heard that on August 23 a man went to Lurgan police station and said he had learned that a 16 year old girl had made an allegation of historical abuse against him.

He feared that someone would take matters into their own hands and he would be assaulted.

On August 25 the man’s daughter received a telephone call from the defendant who said he had been in touch with senior top LVF men and she should spend the next week with her dad because after that she would not have him.

This was because, he added, six men were going to his flat. His head would be cut off, his body cut into little pieces and put in the boot of a car. Bates was arrested for making a threat to kill and admitted contacting the man’s daughter. He said he was under the influence of alcohol and had wanted to scare her.

A public prosecutor made an application for a restraining order against Bates for two years. He would not be allowed to contact the father or daughter by any means.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said he had read the pre-sentence report and the threats were significant and very serious.

Solicitor Mr Conor Downey said Bates fully accepted his stupidity and had expressed genuine remorse. The defendant apologised for the hurt and pain he caused.

Judge Bates said it was hard to imagine the fear the young person would have suffered and what happened was particularly heinous. The level of threat is this case was so realistic it warranted a custodial sentence.

He sentenced Bates to three months in prison and granted the restraining order.

The defendant was later released on his own bail of £600 to appeal against the sentence.