Grabbed his wife by neck during row

Craigavon Court House.
Craigavon Court House.

A 52-year-old man who assaulted his wife and breached a court order on three occasions was given a suspended prison sentence last Wednesday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

Denis Gerald Madden, with an address at Whitesides Hill, Portadown, admitted common assault on his wife, Eleanor Madden, on November 3 last year.

For this he was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for three years.

He also pleaded guilty to three charges of breaching a non molestation order at Pier Rampart on November 18 last year and January 10 and February 12 this year.

For these offences he was put on probation for 18 months.

The court heard that on November 3 the injured party and her three children went to Lurgan police station where she claimed she had been assaulted by her husband during an argument at their home.

There was a red mark to the right side of her throat.

Madden was interviewed and admitted there had been a verbal argument but denied there had been any physical contact.

On November 18 the injured party’s sister contacted the police because she was worried about her. A non molestation order was in place but the defendant had been living in the property.

At approximately 9pm on January 10 this year the defendant’s wife claimed he had threatened her and banged on doors and windows.

On February 12 this year the injured party reported a breach of the non molestation order to police.

Madden accepted he had contact with his wife but said he only wanted to talk to his son and not cause an anxiety or stress.

Mr Brendan Hagan, representing the defendant, said his client ran a business close to the marital home.

He explained the defendant had been married for 25 years and found it difficult to reconcile to the position that the marriage had broken down. His wife had made the decision that there was no possibility of a reconciliation.

Mr Hagan said that ‘real or imagined’ Madden thought his wife was ‘overly friendly’ with a work colleague. There was a verbal altercation and he lost his self restraint and grabbed her by the neck.

He said the wife obtained a non molestation order but invited him back home. When he restated his suspicions there was a confrontation and she reported the breach.