A Lurgan man has told how his family had a lucky escape when their fireplace collapsed and shattered on their living room floor for no apparent reason.
The freak occurrence took place last Thursday in the house at Kiln Vale in the Silverwood area as Nicola McCrory was in the bathroom adjacent to the living room in which the fireplace collapsed.
Her father John who owns the house said: “My daughter was in the bathroom which was next door to the room where it happened.
“She heard a tremendous bang and thought a car had come off the road and into the side of the house.”
Since the fireplace collapsed John has tried to contact the company who built the house, who are based in Craigavon, but to no avail. He puts the devastation down to ‘poor workmanship’.
“I’ve had fireplace people out to look at it and the conclusion they’ve come to is the beam from the chimney fell down and caused the fireplace to come away from the wall.
“Neither the beam nor the fireplace had been fitted properly,” claimed John.
He added: “It comes down to poor workmanship. The house is only five-years-old, but I’ve had nothing but problems with the house.
“I’ve contacted the builders but they never return your call. I’ve written to them but they haven’t acknowledged my letters.
“I’ve had to fork out to get everything fixed myself. I’ve ended up spending an absolute fortune.”
John owns the house and his daughter Nicola (36) lives in it with her partner and three children aged 18, 17 and seven.
“The only consolation is no one was hurt,” said John. “Lucky enough the children were at school.”
The Lurgan Mail tried to contact the developers by phone and in person at their Craigavon premises but got no response from either approach.