Man bit police officer on the hand

  • Sentenced to three months in prison, suspended folr 12 months
  • Seen punching another man on face and head
  • Bit police officer on knuckle

When police intervened as a Lurgan man punched another man while on the ground he bit one of the officers on the hand.

Ryan Seeley (22), Gilpinstown Road, Lurgan, admitted a series of offences when he appeared last Wednesday at Craigavon Magistrates Court.

For the assault on the policeman he was sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for 12 months.

Concurrent one month terms were imposed for possession of a class B drug, herbal cannabis, and disorderly behaviour while he was sentenced to two months, also concurrent, for assault on a male person. They were also suspended for 12 months.

The court heard that around 1am on November 24, 2013, police went to a disturbance in William Street, Lurgan, where they saw the defendant on top of another man, punching him on the face and head.

A police officer had to use a baton on Seeley and he had to be restrained on the ground.

He then bit an officer on the right knuckle and was shouting loudly in a busy area.

Seeley had to be restrained by a number of officers. When searched a bag of herbal cannabis was found in the pocket of his jeans.

The injured party suffered pain to his neck and back but did not have to go to hospital.

The case had been adjourned from a previous court so that a pre-sentence report could be obtained.

A barrister representing the defendant said that since this incident he had not come to the attention of the court.

She added that alcohol was a factor and Seeley had only a vague memory of what happened. It was out of character for him.

The barrister pointed out that in the report he had expressed sincere remorse for his actions and had caused distress to his family.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said that under the sentencing guidelines the act of biting made this case much worse and put it beyond the custody threshold.