Man disorderly in shopping mall

Craigavon Court House.
Craigavon Court House.
  • Assaulted taxi dispatcher
  • Caused disturbance in shop
  • Punched constable in face

A Lurgan man assaulted a taxi dispatcher and later was disorderly in Bow Street Mall in Lisburn, Craigavon Magistrates Court heard last Friday.

Conor James McConville (22), with an address at Flush Park, appeared by videolink from Maghaberry prison.

He faces two charges of disorderly behaviour on December 8, two assaults on one constable and one assault on another constable, two resisting police offences and two assaults on a female.

McConville applied for bail.

A prosecutor said an assault took place on a taxi dispatcher but when police arrived the accused had left and was causing trouble in the mall. He also caused a disturbance in JB Sports.

McConville was on bail for other offences and this was a breach of bail as he appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.

He became aggressive with police and punched a constable in the face. He was shouting loudly in a busy mall.

When interviewed he said he couldn’t remember clearly what happened due to the amount of alcohol he had taken.

A police officer told the court that McConville was a Lurgan man who was on bail and on this occasion was looking for a taxi back to his bail address.

The prosecutor said the accused hit the taxi dispatcher with a plastic bag and pushed her. He punched a constable on the face and spat on another officer.

The officer said there were objections to bail. McConville, he added, had serious issues with alcohol and drugs.

A barrister representing McConville said he was seeking to get a taxi and became petulant and disagreeable with the dispatcher. This deteriorated into an assault.

He added that McConville had an alcohol abuse problem and if that was tackled then the risk of him re-offending would lessen.

Deputy District Judge, Mr Sean O’Hare, said there would be a pre-sentence report available in a week’s time.

He added that at this point of time there was a real risk of re-offending so he refused bail and remanded McConville in custody until March 27.