Man is rescued from industrial washing machine

A PROBE has been launched after a man became entangled in laundry being fed into a large washing machine.

The Fire Service received a Special Service Call to Craigavon Area Hospital’s laundry department on Monday morning.

According to the NIFRS, a 51-year-old man became entangled in laundry which was being fed into the industrial type washing machine.

“On arrival crews found the man heavily trapped by his legs,” said the Fire Service press officer.

“NIFRS personnel dismantled the machine to affect his release.

“Fortunately the man sustained no major injuries.”

The call was made to the Fire Service at 9.16am and the incident was dealt with at 9.47am.

Two Fire Appliances from Portadown Fire Station and one Appliance from Lurgan Fire Station attended the incident.

When the Mail asked the Southern Health and Social Services Trust about the incident, they issued a statement which said: “The health and safety of clients/patients, and staff is a priority for the Trust.

“We can confirm there was an incident in the laundry at Craigavon Area Hospital on Monday.

“Staff initiated all necessary protocols and the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service were called as a precaution.

“The person involved was brought to the Emergency Department for assessment but did not require treatment.

“Whilst all health and safety measures were in place, we are reviewing machinery and procedures in the laundry to minimise any future risk.”