Sent indecent photograph

  • Accessed internet despite order banning its use
  • Sent indecent images to woman
  • Had Blackeberry phone without approval

A 40-year-old man who is the subject of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order defied a ban on using the internet to send an indecent photograph of himself to a woman on Facebook.

Wayne Harrison, whose address was given as HMP Maghaberry, appeared last Friday at Craigavon Magistrates Court by way of videolink.

He admitted that between November 7 and December 4 last year at Queen’s Place, Lurgan, being the subject of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) without reasonable excuse accessed the internet which he was prohibited from doing.

Harrison also admitted that on January 4 at Church Place, Lurgan, while the subject of a SOPO without reasonable excuse resided at Bridge Street, Portadown, without the approval of his designated risk manager.

As well he pleaded guilty to having a Blackberry mobile phone without the approval of his risk manager and on November 1 last year sending an indecent message by a public electronic communications network.

The court heard Harrison was currently serving a sentence for matters very similar to these charges.

A public prosecutor said that on November 7 a 22-year-old female informed police she had received a message on her Facebook. There were a number of images of the defendant’s genitals with messages attached to the pictures.

The prosecutor handed in copies of the messages which were not read out in open court.

Previously in court Harrison had been made the subject of a SOPO and a condition of that was that he was not to access the internet.

On December 4 a second injured party reported to police that her laptop had been used by the defendant,

Police called at his address and he was not there which was also in breach of the SOPO.

When Harrison was interviewed he admitted the breach. He was also accessing the internet by way of the laptop and had a Blackberry mobile phone.

A barrister representing the defendant said Harrison was in custody and his release date was May 26.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, said it was concerning the offences were committed while he was on bail for similar matters.

The barrister said the court would have to consider if a consecutive sentence was appropriate. It was clear Harrison had a plethora of problems with emotion, drug abuse and sexuality which would require long term help.

Judge Bates said it was inexcusable that Harrison should have re-offended in such a ‘graphic and horrifying manner’.

He sentenced the defendant to a total of four months in custody.

“The matter is so serious it must be served consecutively otherwise it does not do justice to the victim of this case,” he added.