Stop before there is tragedy, bin culprits warned
The culprits behind the latest spate of bin incidents in the Tandragee area have been warned by police to stop before there is a tragedy.
Bins were dragged along roads last Thursday night by what local residents described as a black saloon car, causing rubbish to spill over roads and verges.
And police have described the incidents as “mindless irresponsibility that placed the lives of road users in the area in a very dangerous situation”.
They said, “Once again wheelie bins that had been left out for collection by residents were placed out onto the road. That combined with the poor weather conditions of fog and ice had the potential to have a very bad ending.”
Cusher DUP Councillor Gareth Wilson, who met with police on Friday afternoon, said, “This is the latest incident in a long series of similar incidents in this area and the danger presented to motorists, especially as the road conditions were treacherous with ice and thick fog, was quite severe.
“I have spoken to police at length on this matter and I understand they were alerted to this activity in the early hours of Friday morning. Our hard-working council staff were out on the roads very early on Friday morning to start the clean-up.”
The police have warned they will be out during night patrols “looking for these persons and when apprehended we will be asking them about all previous incidents”.
They said they will also be totalling the cost of damage to all bins and adding this to the charge sheet.
They have also asked for the public’s assistance in reporting all suspicious activity and that residents do not leave bins out overnight. “We have spoken with ABC council who confirm bin collection do not commence before 7.30am.” they added.