Took car and crashed it on the Northway


After taking a car without the owner’s permission a 34-year-old man crashed it and left the car on its roof at the Northway in Portadown.

Roman Omasta, Avondale Manor, Craigavon, admitted three motoring offences when he appeared last Friday at the local magistrates’ court.

For aggravated taking away a car without the owner’s consent he was sentenced to four months in prison, suspended for two years.

He was fined £200, with a £15 offender’s levy, for driving without due care and attention.

A three month jail term, also suspended for two years, was imposed for driving without having insurance.

Omasta was also banned from driving for nine months.

The court heard that at 2am on November 18 last year police went to the scene of a road traffic accident where they found a car on its roof at the West Street junction with Northway. There was no other vehicle involved.

Police went to the address of the registered owner where they spoke to the defendant who said it was ‘slippy’ and he admitted he had taken the vehicle, which belonged to a housemate, without his consent.

Omasta said he was on his way just a short distance to deliver a job application, the road was ‘slippy’ and he struck a kerb.

A barrister representing the defendant said it was not a joyriding case. His client took the car, which belonged to his girlfriend’s sister’s boyfriend who all lived together.

He added that Omasta had got a job application for a friend and had forgotten about it so he was trying to get it to his friend before the deadline for applications.

The barrister said his client took a foolish decision to get in the vehicle. He lost control in the conditions and should have known to stay at the scene.

District Judge, Mr Mervyn Bates, told Omasta said he was becoming increasingly concerned with his record and something would have to be done to stop him committing offences.

He pointed out he had received a suspended sentence in August for burglary and there was a deferral for another matter.

The judge said the defendant had caused considerable inconvenience to the owner of the car.