Urinated on floor of police cell after arrest

When police went to an incident in Portadown they discovered that a 30-year-old man was breaking his bail conditions, Craigavon Magistrates Court heard last Friday.

Tuesday, 15th March 2016, 7:00 am

Hugo Miguel Rodrigues Duarte, Montague Street, Portadown, was jailed for a total of nine months.

For disorderly behaviour on December 22 last year he was sentenced to two months in custody while 12 month conditional discharges were imposed for cycling without due care and attention and not having lights on a cycle on the same date.

He was also sentenced to two months in prison for disorderly behaviour on February 2 this year along with three months for assault on the police and two months for criminal damage. These sentences are to run concurrently with the previous terms making a total of five months in prison.

Suspended sentences were also put into operation to run concurrently with each other but consecutively to the previous offences making a total of nine months in custody.

The court heard that on February 6 this year at Spice House in Portadown the defendant was shouting at other males and was asked to calm down by police.

It transpired he was on bail and was in breach of his conditions because he was intoxicated in a public place. He hit a constable in the chest and when taken to Lurgan custody suite he urinated on the floor of a cell.

On December 22 last year at 12.15am a police mobile patrol on the Garvaghy Road in Portadown they saw a cyclist on the footpath. He raised his right hand and gave a middle finger gesture to police.

There were no lights on the bicycle and police signalled for him to stop. The defendant was weaving from side to side and police believed that he was harmful to himself.

On a number of occasions he made the middle finger gesture to police and when stopped he was agitated and continued to swear. He said: “I’ve been f—king beat up.”

Police did not notice any signs of injury to him and he refused to moderate his language.

A barrister representing the defendant said he was the subject of multiple suspended sentences and these offences crossed the custody threshold.

He explained that Duarte was a man with drug problems and in recent times also had an alcohol problem.

The lawyer added that his client had next to no recollection of what had happened.

Deputy District Judge Sean O’Hare said the defendant had been given multiple chances but committed further offences.