Vow to rise from ashes

Hot and Spicy takeaway in Legahory
Hot and Spicy takeaway in Legahory
  • CCTV shows intruder
  • Fire started at back of store
  • Roof collapsed into building

After a severe arson attack, a Craigavon man has spoke of the devastation the damage has caused to his family and business.

Asgar Ahsan (25) whose father owns Hot and Spicy at the Legahory Centre, vowed to rebuild the business ‘bigger and better’.

Ahsan Amin who started up the business 14 years ago is too upset to even visit the burnt out building but his son is working flat out to open in by the beginning of December.

Asgar revealed that CCTV footage shows an intruder breaking a window at the side entrance.

“He went in had a nosey around came back around ten minutes later with another guy. They went for the till, stole £50 and four cans of Red Bull and left.

He believes one of them was under the influence: “He was falling all over the place.”

However, an hour later either the same pair or another duo returned to torch the popular takeaway.

“We are really devastated,” he said.

From the CCTV footage, Asgar said they could see smoke coming from the back storeroom after the last two boys left the takeaway.

The fire was started at the back of the store where all the electrics and the main gas is located. Asgar believes that the whole building would have gone up if the Greenes who own the building did not have a fire alarm fitted.

He said Tom Greene was alerted by the alarm and immediately called the NI Fire and Rescue Service.

The takeaway was gutted and severely smoke damaged.

The fire was mostly in the store and completely melted fridges plus the roof had collapsed into the building.

He believes there was at least £50k worth of damage caused.

He hopes that they will be able to renovate the building by the end of this month and open the first week in December.

James Morgan contractors are working extremely hard to get the takeaway ready in time for opening.

There is one other employee who is currently out of work until they get back open again.

“The loss of business has badly affected us,” he said.

“My father is very upset. He’s been too upset to come in and help us,” he said.

Asgar said he is very grateful for the huge support from the local community. “Loads of people have stopped by and messaged us on Facebook,” he said. He is hoping someone will be able to recognise someone from the CCTV footage.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service and the PSNI have described the attack which happened on Friday, October 30, as arson. Police have called for anyone with information to contact them on 101.