Woman rescued from blaze by neighbour

Fire brigade
Fire brigade

A woman in her 50s was treated in hospital for smoke inhalation after being rescued from a bungalow in Richhill yesterday (Sunday) by a neighbour.

Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) said the woman, who lives in Sleepy Valley, was rescued before firefighters arrived.

Two appliances from Armagh and one from Portadown attended the scene shortly before 3.30 in the afternoon.

Firefighters using thermal imaging cameras and a covering jet dealt with the blaze, which is being treated as accidental.

William Irwin of the DUP said his thoughts were with the woman who was recovering from the shock of the ordeal.

He added, “I want to thank the emergency services for their very swift response and for containing the fire to one location in the house, as this undoubtedly prevented the fire from spreading to neighbouring homes.

“Fire safety continues to be a concerning issue and I would urge everyone to be extra careful whilst carrying out any activities in the home that involve matches, cookers, stoves or open fires as a fire can break out and spread frighteningly fast.”