Disputed decision costs Victoria in the end

Victoria welcomed BISC to Lurgan Park last Saturday and after winning the toss captain Matthew Parks elected to bat.

Victoria got off to a good start as both David Reiman and John Haddock both looked comfortable at the crease and after 8 overs the score was 48, BISC changed their bowling and the stand of 49 between Reiman and Haddock was broken, as Reiman (21) was dismissed in the 13th over, followed a few balls later by Andrew Gray (0).

Garry McClune timed the ball beautifully to the boundary. He and Haddock put on 39, before McClune was controversially given out, LBW, having scored 26, including four fours and a six. Babar Khan joined Haddock and between them the pair averaged 9 runs an over, in a devastating partnership of 115. Both men brought up their half centuries and looked to put Victoria out of sight. Khan eventually departed having added 80 including seven fours and six sixes. Jordan Marshall (0) and Matthew Parks (4) were unable to assist Haddock, although he and Jonny Irwin (11) added some runs and Glenn Thompson (8) accompanied him to the close. Haddock batted 38 overs and finishing on 66 not out and having guided Victoria to a competitive 262 in 40 overs.

BISC needed 263 to win and Andrew Gray struck in the first over, but after this BISC began to go after the bowling and were 86-1 after only 10 overs. Garry McClune made the crucial breakthrough removing Prasana, LBW for 54 and John Haddock had the next batsman stumped for 0. Rakeesh smashed Haddock for 24 off one over taking the asking rate back to 5.9 an over and putting BISC back in control. In the 28th over Victoria appeared to have got the breakthrough. Rakeesh played the ball away from his body, getting an inside edge and Dave Reiman took a brilliant catch. The umpires decided the ball had hit the batsman’s pad, despite being nowhere near the batsman’s legs and ruled it was not out. Rakeesh went on to hit numerous boundaries in search of the remaining 55 runs needed. He was eventually removed by Jonny Irwin for 79. Irwin had the next batsman caught for 1 and Vinoth finished on 90 not out as BISC got home with 5 wickets and 14 balls to spare.

Victoria Seconds took on CSNI Fourths in Lurgan Park last Wednesday evening in the hope of bouncing back from defeat to Derriaghy. CSNI opted to bat and they finished on 139 for 6 off 20, setting Victoria 140 to win.

After ten overs Victoria were on 54/0, still requiring 86 runs to win. Andrew Gray was bowled (45) and McCelland replaced Gray and he soon left, being caught (1). Jordan Marshall was the man who replaced McClelland at the crease and he supported Haddock well, Marshall slapped the ball to the boundary on three occasions, two sixes and a four. It was the 18th over which was crucial for Victoria with 15 coming off it. Fittingly it was Haddock who hit the winning runs, scoring a four off in the last ball of the 19th over to ensure Victoria picked up the four points and a crucial win.