Dergview Burr-ied at the death

Share this article

Glenavon 2 – 1 Dergview

IT took a 94th minute penalty for Glenavon to overcome plucky Belfast Telegraph Championship One side Dergview on Tuesday evening.

Matty Burrows slammed home the winner to put his side into the quarter-finals of the Irn-Bru League Cup with extra-time looming.

The former Glentoran forward, known for scoring a spectacular backheel against Portadown, had almost added another special goal to his memoirs earlier in the game but his attempted overhead kick from the corner of the penalty area came crashing back agonisingly off the crossbar.

Although somewhat less extravagantly, Burrows got the winner in the end but the Blues had certainly done it the hard way, going behind to a Dwayne McManus opener before Andy Kilmartin levelled just after the break.

McManus had given Dergview an unlikely lead when he got control of the ball just outside the box before squirming past Andy Coleman, who couldn’t keep it out despite getting a hand on the effort.

Coleman had to be alert minutes later to deny former Glenavon trialist Lee Toland’s free-kick, pushing it onto the post.

At the other end, Guy Bates was doing his best to trouble Dergview stopper Stefan McCusker. The keeper was match to his efforts though, first tipping a well-struck shot round the post before knocking another onto the woodwork after a super pass from Andy Kilmartin.

After the break, it was Kilmartin himself who got the better of keeper, lobbing an effort over his head and into the net after latching on to Marc Brown’s long ball forward.

The home side struggled to create any more goal-scoring chances until finding their late winner, while at the other end, Dergview should have restored their lead.

Substitute Robbie White slipped and let in forward Sproule but he fired harmlessly over the net with Andy Coleman exposed.

Then with the match ebbing towards extra time, the Blues snatched a dramatic winner with almost the last kick of the game. Guy Bates caused more problems in the Dergview penalty area and was hauled down by defender Liam McMenamin.

Referee Colin Burns pointed to the spot and that left Matty Burrows to steal the limelight as he converted the penalty kick and seal his side’s route in to the quarter-finals.

GLENAVON: Coleman, Turkington, Haughey, McCashin (White 46), Brown, Neill, Hagan, Kilmartin, McGrory, Burrows, Bates.

Unused Subs: Marshall Dane, McKee, Ballard.

DERGVIEW: McCusker, Porter, McMenamin, Galloway, J Carlin, Sproule (C Carlin 78), Toland (Arkinson 59), Lecky, McManus, Henderson, Mullen.

Unused Subs: Buchanan, T Carlin, Ferry.