Armagh dump Glenavon out of Mid Ulster Cup

Despite fielding a strong team Glenavon bowed out of the Mid Ulster Cup at the semi-final stage losing 3-2 to Armagh City at Mourneview Park.

On eight minutes the home side thought they had won a penalty for hand ball, but after initially giving the spot kick referee Damien Basketfield changed his decision after City’s protest and consulting with his assistant who must have been at least 50 yards away from the incident.

Armagh posed a threat on 32 minutes as Stephen Murray broke into the box but Alan Blayney made a fine save to turn his effort over the bar.

Five minutes later and the visitors were in front, a corner came in, clipped off Matty Lynch and Dara Noonan’s header looped over Blayney, hit the underside of the bar but was adjudged to have crossed the line.

Two minutes before the break manager Gary Hamilton came off the bench to replace David Elebert with Andrew Drylie slotting into the centre half role.

Glenavon were back in the tie five minutes into the second half with Declan O’Brien scoring from the spot after the penalty was awarded for hand ball.

Hamilton almost caught the Armagh keeper on the hop with a shot from 40 yards but he turned his effort round the post.

Glenavon made another change with Gary Lavery replacing Matty Lynch but it was Armagh who went close gain with Andrew Moore firing wide.

On 64 minutes Armagh were in front again with Murray getting away from William Murphy and drilling a low shot under Blayney.

At the other end Morgan made another fine save to deny O’Brien from making it 2-2.

The equaliser did come on 76 minutes and it was from an unlikely source as Andy Kilmartin scored his first goal of the season smashing the ball into the roof of the net after Murphy nodded down a free kick from Kyle Neill.

Surely Glenavon would go on and win the tie, but they were rocked again seven minutes from time as Murray grabbed his second of the night with a neat finish to leave the final score 3-2 to the visitors.

Armagh will now face Dungannon Swifts in the final at a date and venue to be decided.

Glenavon:Blayney, McKeown, Elebert, Murphy, Neill, Drylie, Kilmartin (c), Caldwell, Lynch, O’Brien, S Lavery Subs:Lindsay, Hamilton, G Lavery, Patton, McGrory

Armagh City: Morgan, Grimley, McGerrigan, Noonan, Mallon, Kelly, Montgomery, Moore, Murray, Donnelly, Havern Subs: McAnallen, Larkin (GK), Cullen, Boyle, McQuaid.

Referee: Damian Basketfield.