Blues have to settle for point

Glenavon stretched their unbeaten run to seven games in an action packed 2-2 draw with Warrenpoint Town at Mourneview Park.

Once again the failure to keep a clean sheet cost the Lurgan Blues all three points, but after the visitors took a 2-1 lead a draw was a welcome outcome after an all-action finale which saw both sides have chances to pinch gthe points.

Glenavon's Kevin Braniff and Warrenpoin'ts John Boyle in action.

Glenavon's Kevin Braniff and Warrenpoin'ts John Boyle in action.

After a fairly slow start as both teams found the strong swirling wind had to cope with the home side took the lead.

Eoin Bradley spotted the blindside run of Ciaran Caldwell with a neat pass in behind the defence and from the cross unmarked Kevin Braniff had a simple tap-in on nine minutes for his 11th goal of the season.

Braniff almost doubled the lead in the next attack as keeper Parr only half cleared under pressure from Bradley but Braniff’s half volley flew over the open goal. Bradley was next to go close as he bustled his way past a defender but his firm shot was saved. Then a quick break saw Point’s Daniel Hughes deliver a dangerous cross which McGrath tipped onto the bar.

On the half hour mark a sweeping move should have brought a seconjd goal for the home side as Braniff and Bradley put Kyle Neill in behind, he slipped the ball to Rhys Marshall whose shot went straight to the keeper.

Glenavon had a couple of let-offs as they failed to clear the ball but they created another super chance to score on 37 minutes when Neill pulled back a great cross into the box for unmarked Bradley who opted to take a touch which allowed the keeper to close him down and his shot was deflected away for a corner.

Glenavon had a the first effort on goal as they started the second half with the strong wind in their favour as Gareth McKeown’s long range free kick was well held by Parr. A lovely move saw Neill, Bradley and Braniff move the all into centre for Caldwell but his shot was well blocked.

Warrenpoint striker John McGuigan broke clear of the home defence by McGrath did well to gather the ball at his feet.

Everything seemed to be going to plan for the home side until the 67th minute when they gave the ball away in the oppositon half, the visitors had three players on the counter and Conor McDonald ran on to plant a shot under the body of McGrath.

With 15 minutes to go Daniel Hughes found himself one on one with the keeper but thankfully for Glenavon he skied the ball wide.

The home side were rocked on 78 minutes when a thunderbolt of a shot from Stephen Hughes which hit the post and went in off McGrath.

Glenavon levelled two minutes later from the most unlikely of scorers as Shane McCabe drilled a hard low shot home from just outside the box.

In an all action finale McGrath pulled off a sensational save as former Glenavon striker Darren Forsythe tried to lob him.

At the other end a cross from sub Mark Sykes was met by Marshall but his header hit the bar and was cleared.

The frantic action continued as Daniel Hughes and Forsythe had efforts kept out by McGrath.

Glenavon: McGrath, McKeown, Neill, Murphy, Bradley, Dillon, Caldwell, Marshall, Braniff, McCabe, Singleton.

Subs: Lindsay, Kilmartin, Sykes, McGrory, O’Brien.