Honours even in drama filled battle at Windsor Park

In a game full of drama Glenavon earned a point in a 1-1 draw with ten man Linfield at Windsor Park on Saturday.

It was a game either team could have won in the final minute, first Linfield just failing to get a vital touch in front of goal and from the break sub Mark Patton broke away but when the cross came in Fabio was crowded out and it was to end all square.

Linfield's Andrew Waterworth tackled by Conor Dillon and  Simon Kelly  during Saturday's Danske Bank Premiership match at Windsor Park.

Linfield's Andrew Waterworth tackled by Conor Dillon and Simon Kelly during Saturday's Danske Bank Premiership match at Windsor Park.

The game saw three penalties - two for Glenavon and one for Linfield - a day when referee Raymond Crangle took centre stage.

In the end Glenavon will feel it was two points lost, but to come from a goal down and leave with a point is still not a bad return.

There was an early chance for the visitors as Joel Cooper made ground and passed to Fabio who clipped over a cross for Andy Hall but he failed to get on the end of it.

Linfield began to get on top with both Conor Dillon and Simon Kelly working hard to keep Andy Waterworth from getting a shot on goal.

There was a let-off for the Lurgan Blues on 12 minutes when a cross from Sean Ward was half cleared to Jimmy Callacher who smashed a shot off the underside of the bar.

Glenavon did well to soak up the early pressure but almost took the lead on 21 minutes when quick thinking by Braniff saw him back heel the ball to Martyn, he slipped the ball forward for Fabio whose shot was parried by the keeper but cleared just before Hall could nip in.

Another opening fell to the visitors on 27 minutes when Hall ended a quick burst forward with a well struck shot that Glendinning failed to hold but Callacher cleared under pressure from Cooper.

Tuffey was well placed to gather a header from Callacher but Linfield took the lead on 37 minutes. A shot from Reece Glendinning was adjudged to hit the hand of Dillon and Aaron Burns stepped up to fire past Tuffey.

Glenavon had a great chance to draw level five minutes into the second half when Fabio got in behind the home defence but Glendinning made a superb save.

Another chance fell to Hall a few minutes later but he clipped the ball wide of the post.

Glenavon’s pressure paid off when Fabio was put in the clear and as he raced into the box Glendinning raced out and brought him down. Referee Crangle awarded the penalty and also sent off the Linfield keeper. Mark Haughey took over in goal and then saved Braniff’s spot kick.

With the extra man advantage Glenavon set about trying to find a way through and after Gary Hamilton came off the bench to replace Braniff that moment came on 80 minutes when they won their second penalty of the afternoon. This time it was Cooper’s shot that hit an arm and Crangle pointed to the spot and Andy McGrory drove the ball into the net.

Glenavon carved out a number of half chances as they enjoyed most of the possession near the end but Linfield too could have snatched a late win.

Glenavon: Tuffey, Dillon, Marshall, Kelly, Cooper, Hall, ,Martyn, Kilmartin, McGrory, Braniff, O’Brien.

Subs: Patton, Hamilton, Sykes, Elebert, Lindsay.