Last gasp winner heartbreak for Glenavon

Glenavon’s dismal run continues as they slumped to yet another home defeat this time 3-2 against Coleraine.

In a dramatic final few minutes as Glenavon won a late penalty and Eoin Bradley made it 2-2 and the Lurgan Blues thought they had salvaged a point.

Glenavon's Eoin Bradley and Coleraine's David Ogilby in action during Saturdays game a Mourneview Park. Pic by Presseye

Glenavon's Eoin Bradley and Coleraine's David Ogilby in action during Saturdays game a Mourneview Park. Pic by Presseye

However, within 38 seconds and from the restart Coleraine won it in added time as Parkhill was unmarked to fire past an exposed McGrath in the Glenavon goal.

Heartbreak for the Blues who just cannot find the form to gets results at Mourneview Park.

It was a fairly low key first 15 minutes with neither side able to get in behind. The home side looked threatening on 8 minutes with Andy McGrory breaking down the right wing, his cross fell to Eoin Bradley who picked out Kevin Braniff on the left but his cross drifted over the goal.

Coleraine’s Ian Parkhill almost found his way into the six yard box but Conor Dillon spotted the danger and quickly cleared for a corner.

On 16 minutes Gary Hamilton unleashed a spectacular volley from 25 yards that seemed to be heading into thge net until Michael Doherty reached up to tip the ball over the bar.

In a quick counter attack Coleraine’s Joe McNeill had a shot well blocked by skipper Kris Lindsay.

Glenavon came close to breaking the deadlock when Braniff crossed and Rhys Marshall won the header but his effort was off target.

The best move of the half came on 26 minutes when Braniff and Kilmartin linked up well to thread Ciaran Martyn in behind the defence but just as he was about to pull the trigger Kane got back to block his shot.

With Glenavon slowly getting into the game they suffered a blow on 30 minutes as Coleraine took the lead. Dillon conceding a free kick 25 yards out and Neil McCafferty curled the ball over the wall and into the corner of the net.

Just before the break Hamilton won the ball in midfield and spread it to Braniff who ran on and his shot was cleared for a corner. Glenavon then won a free kick similar to that of Coleraine’s but Braniff’s shot flew just over.

Glenavon made the perfect start to the second with with Martyn heading in the equaliser after Lindsay’s shot looped up in the air. It looked as if defender Kane had chested the ball off the line, but the linesman indicated the ball had crossed the line.

No sooner had they got back into the game the Lurgan Blues fell behind again on 56 minutes to another screamer as Shane McGinty blasted the ball home from an acute angle.

The Blues tried to force an opening but Coleraine were looking dangerous on the counter attack.

On 73 minutes Mark Patton and Shane McCabe come on for Kilmartin and Braniff, Patton’s first match of the season after his long term back injury.

Two minutes later Coleraine had the ball in the net again as Beverland rose to head home but luckily for Glenavon the flag went up for offside.

Glenavon applied a good period of pressure with Patton just off target and then Marshall had a shot blocked by Beverland.

In the last minute Glenavon finally got th e break they wanted with Patton’s cross hitting the hand of Douglas and referee Keith Kennedy awarded the spot kick.

Bradley took the penalty, Doherty saved his shot but the ball fell kindly for the Glenavon striker who make it 2-2.

However, more drama was to follow as Coleraine attacked from the restart and Parkhill was free to fire past McGrath.

Glenavon: McGrath, McKeown, Lindsay, Kilmartin, Hamilton, Bradley, Dillon, McGrory, Marshall, Braniff, Martyn.

Subs: Neill, Patton, Caldwell, McNally, McCabe.