Marshall wins derby for Glenavon

Rhys Marshall grabbed a late 1-0 win for Glenavon in the festive Mid Ulster derby with Portadown at Mourneview Park.

The 20 year-old defender got on the end of Gary Hamilton’s corner two minutes into stoppage time to seal the points against ten man Ports in what was a typical derby encounter.

Rhys Marshall'celebrates after scoring what proved to be the winner over Portadown.

Rhys Marshall'celebrates after scoring what proved to be the winner over Portadown.

An early chance came for the Ports with Chris Casement floating over a free kick and Gary Twigg rose for a free header but his effort flew inches wide of the post.

Glenavon showed their teeth as Daniel Kearns got behind the defence but keeper David Miskelly was alert to the danger and got in ahead of the striker.

A good spell of home pressure followed with Andy Kilmartin driving the ball towards goal from the edge of the box but Miskelly did well to gather his shot.

Then in a quick counter Kearns made good progress down the right flank and crossed for Joel Cooper whose pass was cleared before Eoin Bradley could get in a shot.

Glenavon were beginning to find their passing game and they tried to find Kearns and Bradley in the box as they pressed but Portadown were always quick to counter.

Portadown won a free kick some 25 yards out in front of goal and Chris Casement struck it well but straight at Tuffey.

The game began to settle down but on 37 minutes Kearns did well to set up the supporting Rhys Marshall and his firm drive was palmed out by Miskelly.

After Bradley was beaten to a through ball Sykes did well to create another chance as he tried to pick out the overlapping Cooper who had strayed just offside.

Glenavon had a great chance to take the lead within seconds of the restart with Kearns breaking into the box as he shook off Breen’s challenge but Redman did well to block his shot.

Just when it seemed the game was going to end in a stalemate Hamilton’s corner was met by Marshall and the ball flew into the net much to the delight of the home fans.

However, that was not the end of the drama as Portadown almost grabbed a point with Casement drilling a loose ball towards the home goal but Simon Kelly was on hand to clear off the line and the win was secured.

Glenavon: Tuffey, Neill, Kelly, Dillon, Kilmartin, Marshall, Cooper, Bradley, Hall, Sykes, Kearns.

Subs: Lindsay, Patton, McGrory, O’Brien, Hamilton.