Six goal stroll for Blues

GLENAVON thrashed Richhill 6-1 on Tuesday evening in the Mid-Ulster Cup.

Two goals by Denver Taggart as well as strikes from Marc Brown, Robbie McDaid, Gary Lavery and Andrew Mitchell sealed a comfortable victory while David Ross scored a free-kick for the visitors at Mourneview Park.

It was a young Glenavon side named by boss Gary Hamilton, eight of whom were under 21. Marc Brown opened the scoring early on as he headed in player/manager Hamilton’s free-kick before youngster Taggart bagged his first of the evening. He tapped in recent signing Matthew Rooney’s low cross and then completed his brace on 38 minutes, firing home with his right foot from Jack Milligan’s right wing cross.

It was 3-1 on 43 minutes when Ross curled his free-kick into the bottom corner. However, the Blues regained their three goal advantage before the break as the lively Robbie McDaid raced onto Gary Hamilton’s through ball, went past the out-coming keeper and slid into the empty net.

After the break, Glenavon were just as dominant and in truth could have scored even more than the six they finally managed. Conor Hagan saw a series of shots saved before young substitute Gary Lavery finally made it 5-1 on 85 minutes. It was Hagan who made the goal happen as his shot was spilled by the goalkeeper and Lavery tapped in the rebound.

Andrew Mitchell completed the scoring soon after and his goal again came from Hagan being denied the goal his efforts deserved.

He tried to round the keeper but as he did so, the ball broke out to Mitchell and he didn’t need another invitation to smash into the roof of the net.

It was a routine victory for a young Glenavon side, some of whom will be hoping to hold their place in the line-up for Saturday’s Premiership game against Ballymena United.

GLENAVON: Devine, Turkington (c), Marshall, Brown, Milligan, Rooney, Hamilton, Hagan, Taggart, Mitchell, McDaid. Subs: Ballard for Hamilton (HT), Lavery for McDaid (66), Cochrane for Brown (71).