Tough outcome for Under-14’s

Ballymoney United Under 14s 3

Glenavon Academy Under 14s 1

Glenavon Under-14s kicked off 2013 with an away day in Ballymoney.

Playing into a swirling wind in the first half Glenavon started on the back foot but Ballymoney did not make use of their advantage and rarely threatened J. Collins goal in a lack lustre opening ten minutes.

Glenavon slowly got into their stride and began keeping possession for large parts as the half wore on. Up front M. Weeks and H. Joyce were a nuisance keeping the Ballymoney backline on their toes by battling for every ball and it wasn’t long before cracks began to appear and chances came for the visitors.

Pressure mounted and it wasn’t long before Glenavon found a breakthrough goal. D. Houston playing at centre half stopped a Ballymoney breakaway and found J. Malcolmson on the right. He carried the ball forward finding M. Weeks on the edge of the Ballymoney area. The big Glenavon striker teeing up captain N. Forsythe who arrowed a first time shot into the bottom corner beyond the reach of the goalkeeper from 25 yards.

Playing with the wind and a 1-0 lead and with Glenavon pressing Ballymoney right back early on in the second half it looked as though there would be only one winner. Ten minutes into the half and loss of possession in midfield from Glenavon prompted a Ballymoney attack from which they earned a softly conceded corner. Their corners in the first half were dealt with relatively well but this the first one in the second half was a delightful cross into the centre of the area and a towering header into the top corner and suddenly Ballymoney from nowhere were back in the game.

Ballymoney were just lumping the ball forward and it was from one of those clearances that a lapse in concentration at the back allowed their big striker to win the ball and run clear on goal before lifting the ball cooly over the advanced J. Collins for a shock lead.

Glenavon responded well again and literally threw the kitchen sink at the home side in search of what would have been a deserved equaliser but the Ballymoney goalkeeper kept out a point blank effort from N. Forsythe to keep his side ahead. M.Greenfield then also thought he had scored but the goalkeeper clawed the ball off the line and reacted quickest to the loose ball ahead of H. Joyce.

It just wasn’t to be for the Lurgan Blues and any hopes of a comeback were ended after another long ball from the back yielded yet another goal for the home side as the visitors could only look on in disbelief with the big Ballymoney striker not able to believe his own luck racing through on goal once again before tucking the ball past J.Collins for 3-1.

Glenavon look forward now to a break from the League next week and turn our attentions to the NIBFA Cup as they take on local neighbours Oxford Sunnyside.

Other results: UNDER 12s Ridgeway Rovers 3 Glenavon Academy 2 (League) UNDER 13s Windmill Stars 0 Glenavon Academy 3 (NIBFA Cup) UNDER 14s Ballymoney United 3 Glenavon Academy 1 (League) UNDER 15s Glenavon Academy 2 Cliftonville 3 (League) UNDER 16s Lisburn Youth 2 Glenavon Academy 6 (League)