Windsor defeat tough on Glenavon

Glenavon were unfortunate to leave Windsor Park on Monday night with nothing to show for their efforts.

Beaten 2-1, the Lurgan Blues went down to a scrappy second half goal from former player Mark Haughey who poked the ball home after a scramble in the box.

Glenavon's Kyle Neill failed to make this chance count against Linfield.

Glenavon's Kyle Neill failed to make this chance count against Linfield.

Both teams took their time to settle but it was Glenavon with the first effort on goal when Shane McCabe and Tiarnan Mulvenna set up David Rainey and his firm shot was pushed round the post by Tuffey.

Linfield responded with a superb move ending with Waterworth drilling in a shot, it flew past the advancing McGrath but Rhys Marshall got back to steer the ball off the line.

Glenavon got their noses in front on 27 minutes from the penalty spot. Ciaran Martyn tried an overhead kick, the ball struck the arm of Philip Lowry and referee Arnold Hunter pointed to the spot. Tiarnan Mulvenna fired him the spot kick for his third goal since arriving in the transfer window.

Andy McGrory had a great chance to double that lead when he broke clear with only Tuffey to beat but he drilled his shot wide of the far post.

That miss proved costly as Linfield raced down to the other end, Sproule cross for Lowry, Lindsay slipped trying to clear and the Linfield man fired the ball past McGrath on 40 minutes.

Linfield finished the stronger of the two sides and McGrath was forced into two excellent saves to keep the sides level at the break.

The Lurgan Blues should have taken the lead early in the second half when Mulvenna did well to win the ball but his effort was cleared by Tuffey and then Kyle Neill fluffed a great chance when the ball broke to him a yard out from goal, but you can blame the gluepot goalmouth for that.

Glenavon got a slice of luck on 65 minutes when a back pass from Marshall beat McGrath but the ball rolled just wide of the goal.

Linfield finally got the breakthrough on 73 minutes and it was former Glenavon player Mark Haughey who managed to poke the ball home after a massive goalmouth scramble.