Hogg seals first cup final for Under 15’s

Share this article

Lurgan Town U12 3 Dromore Amateurs 0

LURGAN Town’s Mid Ulster Under 12’s booked a place into their first ever cup final by defeating Dromore Amateurs 3-0 in the MUYL Shield semi-final match played in Gilford.

Town made a really impressive start capped off by a wonderful through ball by skipper for the day Gareth Ferguson to Ryan McGuckin on the left wing and his cross found Cai McDowell unmarked at the back post and he made no mistake in opening the scoring.

Town kept up the pressure on Dromore and when Jack Hogg robbed the ball from a midfielder he played a defence splitting pass to Ryan McGuckin and the winger smashed a low shot into the bottom corner to double Town’s advantage. There was no let up from Town and Ryan Henry, who had been spraying passes all over the pitch with his midfield partner Michael Newton, nearly scored at the back post with his low effort going into the side netting.

A quick free kick from McDowell released Hogg and the Dromore keeper made a super save at the feet of the attacker and was lucky to have his defender covering him as he was able to block McDowell’s follow up shot on the line. McGuckin nearly scored again just before the half when a long pass by Ethan Rice found him free and his strong run and shot was well saved.

The second half continued much as the first had ended and when a Ryan Blacoe free kick looked destined for the bottom corner the Amateurs keeper pulled off another great double save by parrying the free kick and again thwarting Hogg once again diving at his feet.

Then a Gareth Ferguson free kick was knocked down by Ryan McGucken to the other Ryan McGuckin but his effort clipped the outside of the post. Town weren’t letting Dromore get into the game and the defence marshalled by Ben McNally and keeper Aaron Hancock were rarely troubled with the pace of Adam Hodgkinson helping to provide cover when required.

Town finished the game off as a contest with a few minutes remaining after a Dromore defender attempted a back pass and it was intercepted by a sharp Hogg and this time he gave the keeper no chance drilling his effort low and into the back of the net.

Town still had time to create a couple more chances with both Ryan Henry and Andrew Ferguson both going close with efforts after good work from Michael Newton and Finlay Marney. Town will face a strong Loughall United team in the final with the date and venue yet to be decided.

Town: A Hancock, A Hodgkinson, R Blacoe, E Rice, B McNally, R Henry, M Newton, C McDowell, G Ferguson, J Hogg, R McGuckin subs: F Marney, A Ferguson, R McGucken.