Holders BBOB bow out of Foster Cup

On Saturday Lurgan BBOB began their defence of the Foster Cup but were narrowly beaten 1-0 in a tight encounter.

The home side began much better and BBOB goalkeeper Chris Baird made a good save to deny an opening goal. Glenavy were dominating the game aerially and they scored what proved to be the only goal of the game after ten minutes. A free kick was headed back from the far post and Glenavy’s captain rose to force a header into the net. Moments later a loose pass in the BBOB defence sent the Glenavy striker clear but his shot was turned away for a corner by Baird.

Gradually the visitors began to play their way into the game and Matthew Gordon played a superb crossfield ball to Andrew Smyth whose drilled cross was headed against the post by John Uprichard. Despite their improvement this was the closest BBOB came to scoring, though for the remainder of the half Glenavy created very few chances also.

In the second half the Lurgan side began to have more possession and territorial advantage but were struggling to break down a well organised Glenavy defence despite hard work and commitment from Gordon and Richard Ferguson.

It was difficult for BBOB as they continued to commit men forward and Glenavy were continually looking to counter attack and were always dangerous when doing so. Sub Philip Moutray found space at the back of the box and beat his man but his shot was saved. Smyth put in several good crosses from the right but again the tall back line of Glenavy dealt with these comfortably.

In the last minute Ferguson drove in a free kick which Ben Mullen reached but his shot went wide and Glenavy held on for the win. In a very even game BBOB were left to reflect on a poor start which they were unable to turn around.

Lurgan BBOB thank Wee Barney’s Restaurant for their match sponsorship.

Team: C Baird, A Dowey, D Wilson, M Kennedy, B Greer, A Smyth, B Mullen, N McConville, R Ferguson, J Uprichard, M Gordon. Subs: M Russell, P Moutray, P Wright.