Last kick of game is cruel for locals



OXFORD Sunnyside FC entertained Crumlin United in the second round of the Irish Cup last Saturdday and despite a spirited display bowed out by a 3-2 scoreline.

A short corner after five minutes caught Oxford defence on the hop and Crumlin opened the scoring from a near post header. Oxford battled hard in the first half but Crumlin dominated possession and they were awarded a penalty after 25 minutes when Collie Toman brought down the Crumlin forward. The penalty struck the crossbar and was cleared, this proved to be the turning point of the first half.

On the half hour a break by Stephen McGurk down the right wing and great cross was finished well by Paddy McCrory and just before half time a probing ball down the left wing from Liam McNiece was latched onto by McCrory who pushed the ball past the advancing keeper to give Oxford a lead 2-1.

In the second half Oxford started to express themselves but it proved to be a case of what might have been as firstly McCrory and then Criostoir Lewsley found themselves one on one with the keeper and spurned the chances. Crumlin also continued to attack but Kieran Murray in the Oxford goal supported by his back four managed to keep the opposition out until with six minutes to go and with fatigue starting to play its part, a sharp turn and finish in the box from the Crumlin forward levelled the scores.

Then cruelly with virtually the last kick of the game a speculative cross from the left hand side deceived everyone and nestled in the corner of the net to give Crumlin the win.

The 15 players who representing Oxford Sunnyside FC performed manfully against Amateur League opposition and with just a little piece of luck could have progressed in the competition.

Oxford Sunnyside: Kieran Murray, Niall Totten, Liam Mc Niece, Collie Toman, Stephen McGurk, Michael Murtagh, Paddy O’Connor, Chris Ganley, David McGurk, Criostoir Lewsley, Paddy McCrory. Subs: Chris Martin, Tony Molloy, Richie Magee and Declan Toman.