Revenge win is sweet for strong Hoops side

Lurgan Celtic reserves pictured prior to their match with Valley Rangers. INLM45-624AM
Lurgan Celtic reserves pictured prior to their match with Valley Rangers. INLM45-624AM

With the first team not playing Lurgan Celtic Reserves were able to field a strong squad against Valley Rangers Res, a team who had previously beaten the Hoops in a cup match several weeks ago.

The Celtic side were more focused of the two and dominated play all over the pitch with Aaron Rogers slotting in well at centre back and it was no surprise when Aaron Haire opened the scoring to put the home side ahead.

Stevie Toland then added a second goal to take the sting out of the visitors and the icing was put on the cake when Mel Patterson finished off the scoring to give Celtic a comprehensive 3-0 victory and consolidate their position at the top of the Reserve Championship.

This week a tough test awaits Celtic when they travel to Lisburn to play Ballymacash Rangers Reserves but the Celts league form has been very consistent and they are aiming to secure another three points to maintain pole position in a very competitive league.

Lurgan Celtic Youth entertained Annagh Youth in the second round of the Harry Cavan Youth Cup at Gordon Playing Fields and both sides squandered chances to score in the first half with the visitors keeper responsible for keeping Celtic scoreless.

The second half was more of the same but halfway through Annagh took advantage of a poor pass to open the scoring and moments later should have wrapped the tie up but hit a great chance wide.

Celtic, who were below strength with four players unavailable and a player who normally plays outfield in goal due to the regular keepers injury, came back into the game coming close in several attacks with one great shot from the left by Odrahan Magill brilliantly saved by Annagh’s keeper . As time progressed it looked like a goal would be enough to seal the tie. Minutes from the end Celtic forced two corners and from the second the ball was only partially cleared in a goalmouth scramble and Felim McDonald drove a low shot into the left hand corner to force extra time.

Celtic were the better team in extra time and won the game when Magill was played through and he scored with a vicious angled drive to put the Young Celts into the next round.

The first team resume league action in Championship 1 this week with an away game against Armagh City and with some players carrying knocks the should have helped them in the return to full fitness.