Lurgan U15s clinch first part of cup final double

Lurgan Town celebrate
Lurgan Town celebrate

Lurgan Town’s U15 Mid Ulster squad played Craigavon City in the League Cup final on Saturday the first of two finals in two weeks for the boys.

Lurgan started the game nervously and this gave encouragement to Craigavon City to put pressure on Lurgan’s defence but fortunately they couldn’t create anything significant.

Then 15 minutes into the game Lurgan took the lead against the run of play when Lewis McKinley swung in a free kick for Aaron Winters to score his 20th goal of the season. Lurgan almost doubled the lead when a Lewis McKinley corner found Jack O’Neill but unfortunately his goal-bound header was deflected for another corner.

There wasn’t a lot between the teams but Lurgan got an important second when they were awarded a free kick. Lewis McKinley stepped up to score into the top left hand corner with the goalkeeper motionless.

Lurgan were pretty much in control without playing great however, they were left stunned when Craigavon City’s midfielder hit a speculative volley from 30 yards and it caught Sam Lawther out.

The second half started with Craigavon City changing to a more attacking formation but they struggled to get any space from Lurgan’s defence of John Dickson, Brett Smyth and Ryan Upton.

With 15 minutes gone Adam Loughran was racing through on goal when he was tackled just outside the box which the referee deemed as a foul. The referee had no choice but to send off the defender who had been on a yellow card. It was left for Lewis McKinley to step up to score his second free kick of the game this time hitting a low shot into the bottom corner of the goal.

Lurgan players began to lose discipline as they started to give away needless free kicks therefore putting the defence under pressure.

Lurgan made a few changes by bringing on Adam Hall, Jack Malcomson, Lewis Sinclair and James Willis and Lurgan got a fourth when Lewis McKinley delicately dinked the ball over the Craigavon defence for Aaron Winters to calmly score his second goal of the game.

There were a few players who stood out in the game but players of the game went to John Dickson with a composed display in Lurgan’s defence and team captain Lewis McKinley with two assists and scoring two excellent free kicks.

Team manager Phil McKinley would like to thank all the parents and club members for the great support on the day.

Phil would also like to express his thanks to assistant coach Robin Carson for his help and finally to all the players as they have give everything to make this a successful season.

Now Lurgan face final number two on Saturday this time against Cookstown Youth.