Two goal lead fades away at Coleraine

It was Northern Ireland cup day on Saturday as Lurgan Town Under 15’s travelled to Coleraine to take on Bertie Peacock of the National League.

Town started the game showing why they have been doing so well this season in the Lisburn League and within minutes Town should have been in front only to see the Peacock keeper pull off a save to stop Town from taking the lead. Town were denied three more times by the keeper and had two goal line clearances which had they taken those chances the game could effectively been over long before half-time.

Town were not allowing their opposition any time to settle at and despite all the missed chances they eventually did get the breakthrough after 26 minutes when McAreavey drove a powerful shot into the top right corner of the net to give Town a well deserved 1-0 lead. With half-time approaching Town kept the dominance going until half-time hoping that if they could keep this up they could get a couple more in the second half and finish the game off.

As the second half began Town continued to chase a second, but Peacock looked a different side and they missed two good chances to draw level within the opening few minutes of the half as Town were slow out of the block.

Just as it was looking as if Town were wobbling they added the much needed second goal when Lewsley broke free, rounded the keeper and put Town 2-0 up. This was the turning point for the opposition.

Within two minutes of taking the a two goal lead Town were pegged back to 2-1 as Peacock began to sense Town were tired and this looked to be the case as Town were now being put under severs pressure and were pegged back into their own half for long periods. The pressure certainly did tell as Town saw their lead wiped out seven minutes from time as Peacock broke down and forced an equaliser which seemed to totally shell shock Town after such a great performance for most of the game. As Town tried to regroup and set about looking a third or face the possibility of facing extra time the unthinkable happened as with a minute to go Town conceded a penalty and with it a goal to make it 3-2 to Peacock and end their competition for this year.

As Town were regrouping they conceded another within a minute to leave them on the wrong end of a 4-2 defeat.