Battling Drumgor take first points off champions elect Vintage

editorial image

Drumgor 4-4 Vintage

The dream of going the season without a blemish is over for the Vintage when Drumgor became the first team to take points off the league leaders last Thursday night.

Captain Joe Duff got his third win in a row beating Brian McCavigan 2-1 hitting an 18 dart leg which was quickly followed by another 18 dart leg as Clive Hanna beat Dee McCready (140) 2-0. The Vintage dug deep to fight back first with Dee Blaney hitting a 140 and 4x100’s as he won a last leg decider against Pearse Richardson.

The match was level as unbeaten Jamesy Bolton won against Marty Craig in another last leg decider. John Cinnamond had to pull out all the stops and it took an excellent 124 outshot to get past Shane Lennon. George Chambers pulled Drumgor level with a 2-0 win over Conor Mallon before Keith Beale hit a 140 and 2x100’s to get the better of Gareth Bunting 2-0. The perfect record wasn’t to be for Vintage as Eamon Duff showed his experience as he got his sixth win in a row to beat Mo Campbell in the deciding leg for a 2-1 win and a share of the spoils.

INF 6-2 Clann Eireann

The INF moved second with a 6-2 win over Clann Eireann and despite showing signs of much improvement Clann Eireann remain bottom of the table. Clann Eireann couldn’t contain the good start they had in this tie as they took two of the first three matches before finally losing the last five games. Michael Scullion got them off to a good start hitting a 140 and 2x100’s as a 22 dart leg was enough to claim a 2-0 win over Vincy Culbert jr. The finishing of Martin Crossan got him over the line as a 2 dart 89 checkout took leg one before double 10 gave him the victory over Kevin O’Loan. Nathan McCabe took the next match 2-0 over Marty Murray to put Clann Eireann back in front before Terry Morrow levelled matters again winning his 2 legs in 21 and 19 darts against Johnny McAtamney. Two double ones was enough for Paddy Magill to get the better of Ciaran Magee and a walkover win for Seamy Tallon put the INF 4-2 up in games with two to play. Lee Culbert secured the win as he won both legs against Chris Magee. In the final game of the night Mark Magee took the first leg off Dave McCusker with Mark winning in 21 darts only for Dave to return the favour by winning the next off Mark’s throw also in 21 darts. In the final leg of the night Dave claimed the win.

Stables 6-2 Trojans

Joe Toman and Tony Rutherford set the standard as a 140 and 2x100’s by Tony wasn’t enough as Joe had 5x100’s and a 140 and an excellent 148 checkout to win 2-1.

Andy Fairbairn got the better of Hugh Campbell in a last leg decider to level the match. New recruit Dermy McStay had a 140, 120 and 3x100’s as he took the last leg in 21 darts against Davy Vaughan Sr (133) to put the hosts in front and a fourth win in a row for Peter Morris this time over Davy Vaughan Jr extended the lead to 3-1.

A 19 dart leg by Michael Lamb was good enough to see him get past Liz McGlaughlin by two legs to nil. When Dee McConville won by the same 2-1 score over Stuart Matchett the points were in the bag for the Stables. Pat Curran and Rab Lewis both had a couple of 100+ scores but it was Pat who hit the doubles as he won by 2 legs to 1 for the Stables. In final game of the night Rab Lewis 140, 135, 115, 2x100’s and Shane Tallon 140, 3x100’s score heavily but it was Rab who won both legs.

Eire Og 4-4 Celtic

The Celtic lost a little ground in the race for second when they travelled to Eire Og and could only manage a draw. Eire Og took the first two games when the two Micky’s, Campbell and Dunwoodie got the better of Martin Haddock and Dee Breen. The tide turned when Noel Greenan caused somewhat of an upset beating the previous unbeaten Sam Frazer 2-1. Adrian Hutchinson was pushed all the way but won a last leg decider over Niall Heaney to level the match and when Andy McConnon beat Paul McGahan 2-0 the Celtic were in front for the first time. Hugh Heaney won both legs against Sean Farren to bring Eire Og level. The Celtic went back in front through Dessie Dunbar who has won 8 out of 9 matches played as he Beat Paul Callaghan by two legs to nil.

Captain Gerard Crewe had a dart at double 12 to take the win for the Celtic but was punished as Mark McLernon took full advantage to win the leg before he comfortably took the last leg for a 2-1 win and leave both teams having to settle for a point.

On Saturday Pearse Richardson from the host club Drumgor won the second qualifying heat of the Drumgor Open when he got revenge for last week’s semi-final defeat as he got the better of team mate Shane Lennon 4-0 in the final. Qualifying round 3 is this Saturday at the usual 2.00pm start time.

Stables Bar hosted their monthly darts competition last Sunday and the winner was INF player Dave McCusker who scraped past Eire Og’s Sam Frazer 3-2 in an excellent final.