Chloe’s double seals College win


THIS friendly against Methody was always going to be a tough fought match for Lurgan College.

Lurgan put some early pressure on the Methody defence getting some shots off which were saved by the Methody keeper. Ellen Mullen and Julie Morrow up front were giving the defence something to think about and penetrated the circle many times winning a few short corners, all of which were saved.

In midfield, Judith Edgar caused Methody problems with her attacking runs down the right hand side and her penetrating passes into space for the Lurgan College forwards. Halfway into the first half a penalty corner went just wide of the post and another was well saved by the visiting goalkeeper on the line. Things were looking hopeful for the Lurgan side who were stringing passes and working well together. Eventually Lurgan got the ball in the net when a well placed pass by Judith Edgar found Chloe McCann in the middle of the circle. Chloe kept her cool and sidestepped the keeper to flick the ball home.

After this however, Lurgan lost a bit of momentum and concentration and Methody tried to take advantage of this as they tried to find an equaliser. It was then up to the defence who stepped up to the mark. Shannon Davidson and Serena Barr formed a solid partnership and picked up any balls that made it through the midfield and they helped to keep the team going.

The half-time whistle came and the Lurgan girls were glad to get a break and re-organise. Both teams came back strong and fighting, but it was Lurgan who had the edge, as not long into the second half they scored a second. Hannah Grieve picked up a loose ball in midfield and made a defence splitting pass to Kathryn Edgar whose shot was initially saved by the keeper. However the ball rebounded back out to McCann who fired it into the back of the net.

Lurgan kept trying to get a third but they couldn’t seem to penetrate the Methody defence. Once they thought they had as the ball sailed past the keeper, but they were denied as a Methody defender saved it on the line. Methody were determined and as Lurgan dropped their concentration towards the end of the second half they let Methody back into the game. Lurgan gave away a penalty corner but when a shot was taken from the left hand side of the circle it was stopped by Hannah Grieve who played it out to Alex Hurst to go on the attack down the line. Not long before the final whistle Methody went on the attack again and were determined to make this one count. They won their second penalty corner of the game and this one they hammered into the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Shortly after this the final whistle sounded to give the Lurgan girls the win.