Disappointing home league defeat

editorial image

Lurgan Ladies fell to their third league defeat of the season 1-0 in this home league match against Ballymoney.

From an early stage it was obvious ‘Money were the team who were more up for this encounter.

Lurgan conceded a penalty corner on ten minutes and they had keeper Susie Taylor to thank for a good stop from a resultant shot. Too many basic errors from Lurgan were handing whatever possession they got back to Ballymoney and the visitors were talking full advantage. In the 18th minute the Lurgan defence were robbed of possession just outside their own circle and the forward punished Lurgan with a cool finish at the near post giving Taylor no chance in the Lurgan goal.

Lurgan were lucky not to concede from a penalty corner but the final strike flew just wide of the post. Lurgan seemed happy to sit back from a well organised ‘Money defence which gave them ample time and space to deal with any Lurgan attack.

At the beginning of the second half it looked as if Lurgan had decided to take the bull by the horns and throw everything at the visitors. A quick break and shot from Jo Anne Wilson forced a save from the visitor’s keeper and one minute later sustained Lurgan pressure won their first penalty corner of the match. The keeper pulled off a good stop from the initial shot but the ball broke to Jo-Anne Wilson and her strike was saved on the line by a defenders stick. It bounced out to another Lurgan stick and this time the strike on target appeared to have entered the net only to be deflected wide by a flying ‘Money stick.

Lurgan turned in disbelief as this period of ariel ping pong had resulted in nothing. Three minutes later Lurgan were awarded another penalty corner but Sarah McClure’s shot was well saved by the visitor’s keeper. Alas this opening ten minute period of dominance was all that Lurgan enjoyed as Money took control of the game again and were pretty much untroubled for the rest of the match.

The visitors were unlucky not to add to their tally as shots from two penalty corners for them on 46 and 48 minutes both flew inch wide of the posts. Another penalty corner a few minutes later was well saved by Susie Taylor. With five minutes to go Kerrie Burns saved an almost certain goal with a great saving tackle .

In the end it was a disappointing result in a match Lurgan would have hoped to have taken something from. They will hope to have an improved performance and strategy against the same opposition at home again next week this time in the IHL.