Emphatic win carries Drumgor over the line

The Drumdor team celebrate after retaining their league trophy.
The Drumdor team celebrate after retaining their league trophy.

IT was the penultimate week in the Craigavon District Darts League sponsored by Bailie Amusements and Drumgor successfully defended their title with a victory over Clann Eireann and they did so in style. Knowing a win would secure the title they went about their business in emphatic fashion losing only one leg all night on the way to an 8-0 win.

Shane Lennon (3x100, 2x140) got the ball rolling for them with a 2-0 win over Joe McCabe and Clann Eireann must have known it was going to be a tough night when Clive Hanna (3x100, 140, 115c/o) won his two legs in 16 and 18 darts. Paul Donnelly was relieved to get the win over an unlucky Ciaran Magee by a score of 2-0 to make it three nil in games and when Eamon Duff made it four nil with a 2-0 win over Neil McCluskey Drumgor were only one match away from the title.

It was left to Pearse Richardson to claim the honours but Mick Hendron didn’t make it easy for him as he pushed him all the way before Pearse finally won 2 legs to 1 to retain the league honours. Drumgor weren’t prepared to let up though as they won the next 3 games all by two legs to nil. Firstly Stevie Duff got his seventh win in a row with a 2-0 win over Nathan McCabe which was followed by Joe Duff’s win over Kevin O’Loan. Marty Craig finished the evening off with a 2-0 win over Mark Magee hitting 2x100’s, 140 and a 145 on the way and showing that even though they have had the smallest panel of players this season they still had the best.

Eire Og will go into their final match of the season one point ahead of the Celtic after the held on to second spot in the league after this 6-2 win over the Premier. Chris Cinnamond won the first match of the night against Mo Campbell by 2 legs to 1 before Mark McLernon kept his run going with his eighth successive win after beating Dee McCready 2-0. Paul McGahan made it five wins in a row for him with a 2-0 win over Kevin McNeice to stretch Eire Og’s lead to 3-0. The in-form Dee Blaney pulled one back for the Premier with a 2-0 win over Noel Dunwoodie before John Cinnamond won his seventh league game in a row beating Hugh Heaney 2-0. Micky Campbell’s return to action was great to see and he didn’t fail to deliver with a 2-0 win over Conor Mallon to hand Conor his first defeat in five games in the league, before Sam Frazer wrapped up the points with a 2-0 win over Brian McCavigan. It was Paul Callaghan who finished the night with the win over Brendan Mallon to complete the score meaning a draw in their last match against the Celtic will secure runners up spot in the league.

The Celtic club took full advantage of an under strength INF team who were missing key players with a comfortable 6-2 win and in doing so kept their chances of finishing second alive. Anto Crewe beat Paul Magill 2-0 to take the early advantage before Martin Haddock beat Lee Culbert 2-1 to further their lead. Seamy Tallon and Dessie Dunbar played out a great game with Seamy taking the honours by 2 legs to 1 before Dee Breen extended the Celtic’s lead with a 2-1 win over Vincey Culbert. Paddy Magill kept the INF in it with a 2-1 win over Tommy McErlene but a walkover win for Gerard Crewe due to the INF only having 7 men meant the Celtic led 4-2. Sean Farren got the win over Roy White to secure the points and a 2-0 win for Adrian Hutchinson over Stevie McConnon finished the match with the INF having to settle for fourth in the league this season.

The Trojans came face to face against the Stables in high hopes having already beaten them this year in the league but were unable to repeat that success as this time the Stables turned the tables around with a comfortable 6-2 victory. It was captain against captain in the first match of the night and it was Shane Tallon who came out on top with a 2-1 win over Andy Fairbairn. Hugh Campbell made it two nil with another 2-1 win this time over Davy Vaughan. Trojans got back into it with Rab Lewis beating Michael Lamb 2-0 and Shea Rutherford repeating the scoreline over Brian Devine to level the match at two apiece. It was from here the stables took over firstly with Chris Lewsley winning against Andy Colhoun before Gareth Bunting beat Paul Lewis 2-0. Sammy Toman secured the points with a 2-1 win over Ritchie McConville before Dee McConville wrapped up the night beating Tony Rutherford Sr 2-1 to leave the final score Stables 6 Trojans 2.