Late tries kill off College challenge

Rugby update
Rugby update

Lurgan College 2nd XV bowed out of the 2nd XV Schools Cup against Dalriada.

Under the leadership of Peter Beck the team just missed out on a quarter final fixture away to Royal Belfast Academical Institution.

The home team started well and the McCreery brothers Joel and Reuben were the key forwards and the rest of the pack worked hard around them to stay in the opposition half for long periods of play.

The Walker brothers William and Matthew, 2nd XV stalwarts worked tirelessly as well. However Lurgan could not turn this pressure into points and after20 minutes, a penalty by full back Robbie Norton was the only score on the board. Rory Burns also worked hard but on too many occasions the home team created a knock on or a penalty and all of a sudden Dalriada could clear their lines and remove home team pressure.

Norton had another excellent game at full back but centres Harry Woods and Peter Beck were also effective. Dalriada, who have only lost two games this season, came alive and two quick tries and one conversion left the score 12-3 at the break.

Lurgan started the second half well and the forwards came alive and some good work byMark McGrath and Mark Wilson gave the half backs of Adam Harrison and Jack Maxwell a better attacking platform.

The Lurgan attacking patterns were now being effectively used and James Harrison had another good game at wing forward. With Ben McAlister and Matthew Turner introduced into the home pack, their experience added to the occasion and after several phases of play hooker Ben Turner crashed over in the corner and Norton converted from the touch line.

Unfortunately wingers Peter Jackson and Stuart Harrison did not see enough attacking ball and with a failure to cross the try line again all the efforts were held out.

Dylan Mooney had a great break later in the match and with Matthew McConaghy coming on at prop, this allowed Reuben McCreery to navigate to his more natural home of number eight, and his influence on the match increased even more.

However, from the coaches, there were no complaints about effort, but some careless penalties allowed Dalriada to control territory. Dalriada finished the stronger of the two teams and a further two tries killed off the contest in the final stages.

The Lurgan College team has a lot to be proud off but on the day the accuracy was just not there. This Saturday the 1st XV are away to Belfast High School in the quarter final of the Ulster Schools Trophy, 10.30am kick-off.