Terrific Tigers have the edge

Lurgan Tigers 9 Ballyclare 0

AFTER a few recent disappointing shows, the Tigers P5’s were certainly fired up and ready to give a top show in the last home match of the season against visitors Ballyclare.

Play commenced at a steady pace with both teams keen to open the scoring, but it was the Tigers who got the first breakthrough with a try from Andrew Watters helped set up by an excellent team passing. With a well organised defence and the alert Tigers spotting and creating gaps, the play was exciting and fast flowing, and further tries followed from Angus Cunningham, Taylor Kerr using an excellent dummy pass to go over the line, and Charlie Wilkinson battling his way to score.

With Ethan Thompson and Michael Waite impressively backing up the attackers, the second half continued with similar enthusiasm as the Tigers moved up a gear and took control. Finn Rankin was in top form, out-running the Ballyclare team on many occasions, and setting up a succession of Lurgan tries. The Tigers never let up, rarely giving Ballyclare the opportunity to see much of the ball with the defence very solid when called on. Again Taylor Kerr blazed through defenders resulting in two further tries. An excellent interception of the ball by Charlie saw him add to the score, and the

rout was complete with further quick tries by Michael and Angus. An excellent way to round off the season at Pollock Park as the Tigers secured probably one of their best wins of the season.

Tries: Andrew (1), Angus (2), Taylor (3), Charlie (2), Michael (1)

Lurgan Tigers 5 v Ballyclare 4

After a quick break, Ballyclare rotated their squad for the second match and introduced extra firepower which made the second game a lot closer. The Tigers had to work hard against a more solid defence, but it was no surprise when the visitors were first off the mark to score. Lurgan retaliated quickly, with a solid drive by Ethan again putting him over to level the scores.

Ballyclare battled hard but each time were thwarted, with Andrew Watters in particular superb in the tackle, and in one instance saving a certain try with a great last gasp tackle!. Matthew soon broke free from his own half, spotted the opportunity, and went over to put Lurgan in front. The standard and discipline shown by both teams was excellent with some crunching tackles, and the Tigers showing a willingness to retrieve the ball at every opportunity. Momentum was maintained for the home side when the ball was fed from the scrum, as the teams matched each other, nip and tuck, try for try. It was hard to see what the eventual outcome would be. But as the clock ticked towards the final few minutes the Tigers lifted their game once more and again Matthew broke through to score two tries in quick succession to give the Lurgan Tigers the edge.

Team: Angus Cunningham, Finn Rankin, Matthew, Andrew Watters, Charlie Wilkinson, Taylor Kerr, Ethan Thompson, Michael Waite, Jack Gardiner.