Terry seals cup win for the INF

editorial image
Share this article

The INF club continued their recent good form and claimed the Drumgor Cup last Thursday night when they overcame Eire Og by 5 games to 2 in the final.

The eventual winners opened up with a 5-1 win over the Celtic club. It was a lot closer though on the board beside them as Clann Eireann got the better of the Trojans for the second time in a week but were pushed all the way only for Joe McCabe to win a last match decider against Michael Shields for a 5-4 win.

Last years winners and hosts Drumgor were put out in the first round despite winning their first two matches against Eire Og. They were unable to get on the scoresheet again as five consecutive wins for Eire Og seen them progress. Pearse Richardson and Shane Lennon were the victors for Drumgor but wins for Dermy McStay, Noel Dunwoodie, Micky Campbell, Mark McLernon and Paul McGahan helped them reach the semi-finals.

Their opponents were to be league champions the Vintage who had to win the last three matches played to claim a 5-4 win over the Stables.

The semi-finals got underway with Eire Og and the Vintage sharing the first two games with Dermy McStay and Oliver Toland being the victors, but a 2-0 win for Paul Callaghan and a 2-1 win for Chris Cinnamond as well as a walkover win for Micky Dunwoodie put Eire Og in control and only one game away from the final.

The Vintage hung on with Conor Mallon beating Noel Dunwoodie and a 2-1 win for Dee Blaney over Michael Campbell made it 4-3. But a 2-0 win for Mark McLernon over new Vintage signing Paul Beattie finished the match off and secured the 5-3 win.

In the second semi-final the INF raced into an early 4-0 lead against Clann Eireann with Marty Crossan, Roy White, Lee Culbert and Marty Murray all winning but when Neil McCluskey had a 2-1 win over Terry Morrow it wasn’t to be the start of a revival as Paddy Magill secured the win in the next match winning by 2 legs to nil.

Having suffered defeat in last years final the INF soon found themselves one down as Paul Callaghan found his doubles to secure a 2-0 win over Roy White.

It went down to the doubles again in the second match but this time it was Marty Murray who hit the important one for a 2-1 win over Dermy McStay to level the match. Lee Culbert won the third match and it again went to the last leg with Micky Dunwoodie pushing him all the way. Paddy Magill extended the lead when he managed to hit his doubles early against Chris Cinnamond for an impressive 2-0 win to make it 3-1 on the night . Noel Dunwoodie had a 12 dart leg to help him to a 2-0 win over Marty Crossan to close the gap to just one. Dave McCusker was able to repeat the 2-1 win over Nathan McCabe to put the INF 4-2 up and only one win away from honours.

It was Terry Morrow who hit the last double of the night as a treble 15 followed by a double 12 for a 69 checkout secured him a 2-0 win over Micky Campbell much to the delight of his teammates.