Two goal blitz in a minute does the trick for Eire Og

editorial image

Two goals inside the space of a minute provided the dynamic for Eire Og to register their second straight win of the season and secure top spot in the Second Division.

Following an out of sorts first half the Pinebank side, who trailed by three points at the break, found themselves six in front when they shot 2-02 without reply in the opening minutes of the second period,

Playing under the management pairing of Tommy Coleman and James Byrne, the Ogs and their opponents Madden served up a classic which had everything from great scores to fantastic passages of play contained in a Division 2 tie where no quarter was asked or given.

With a tough encounter against St. Peters at the weekend to focus on, the Craigavon side won’t dwell too long on their win, but they can take heart from the fact they have seven first team players to welcome back including Lurgan Celtic’s Daniel Ryan and former county player Darra Edwards.

While the Ogs will no doubt celebrate the two well taken goals at the start of the second half from Paul Creaney who rose to beat the visitors full back seconds after the break, and the precise finish from Jamie McGrath, the fact that they secured the two points was greatly assisted by two brilliant saves at crucial times from goal keeper Owen Fleming who had an outstanding game.

Fleming’s first stop which came at a time when his side were heading for the short whistle three points behind, the Ogs custodian got his fingers to a Niall Grimley shot to deflect the ball onto the crossbar which kept his side within touching distance of the Mid Armagh men.

Madden arrived at the Pinebank ground with a huge squad at their disposal, they looked focused and determined throughout the game, and in the opening quarter appeared to have the firepower to over run the home side.

Madden’s Niall Grimley was in outstanding form, and caused problems for Ogs pairing of Steven Burns and Conal Martin, the scoring was close in the opening quarter but it was Madden who found themselves in more space than the home side. Ogs opening scores came from Paul Creaney, Nathan McConville and Roy McGrath who was outstanding, but it was the Mid Armagh men who took the incentive and put three between them at the break.

Few supporters in the sizeable crowd could have expected what transpired in the opening minutes of the second half, straight after the throw in Paul Creaney rose to knock home the first goal, before Jamie McGrath hit the net seconds later, Nathan McConville got in on the act with a brace of points before Creaney bent over a sublime effort from the 21.

A goal from Keenan on 44 minutes and two Grimley points lead to a nervous finish. The Ogs who were disallowed a third goal near the end held on for their second win of the season. Roy McGrath, Marty Hoey and Conor O’Hagan were outstanding, Nathan McConville also impressed on a day when two goals in a minute and a couple of outstanding saves from Fleming were crucial.