No joy for Armagh as Meath take command

Stefan Campbell in action for Armagh. Pic by John Merry.
Stefan Campbell in action for Armagh. Pic by John Merry.

Miceal McKenna from the Grange in action for Armagh. Pic by John Merry.

After a mixed Dr McKenna Cup campaign by Armagh this was always going to be a tough challenge against Meath who recently beat Longford in Leinster’s O’Byrne Cup final.

Kieran McGeeney’s side enjoyed a rewarding start with three early points from Gavin McParland, Colm Watters and Stefan Campbell.

However, against the run of play Mickey Newman found the Armagh net firing past Matthew McNeice.

McParland and McKenna responded for Armagh with a brace of points each but they could not shake off Navan who kept in touch with points from Cillian O’Sullivan and Newman.

Armagh ended the half in the lead by a point 0-08 to 1-04, but with Meath now having the wind advantage in the second half it was always going to be tough for the visitors to remain in control.

And Meath did not take long to make that advantage could sailing into the lead with four points in a row.

It was to prove a disappointing afternoon for Armagh as they failed to find even a point in the second half and Meath cantered to an easy win in the end.

Next up for Armagh is Laois on Saturday at the Athletic Grounds with a 7.00pm start.

Meath: P O’Rourke; D Keogan (0-1), C McGill, M Burke; C Finn, P Harnan, B Power; A Tormey, H Rooney; D Smyth, C O’Sullivan (0-02), J McEntee; B McMahon, M Newman (1-04, 0-03f), D Lenihan.

Subs: S Tobin (0-03, 0-03f) for Lenihan, C Downey for McMahon, R O Coileain for Smyth, A Douglas for Finn.

Armagh: M McNeice; S Heffron, C Vernon, R McCaughey; S Forker (0-1), A Forker, M Shields; B Donaghy, S Sheridan; S Campbell (0-01), M McKenna (0-02), C O’Hanlon; E Rafferty (0-01), C Watters (0-01), G McParland (0-02).

Subs: A Findon for Sheridan, E McVerry for McParland, J McElroy for Shields, S Connell for Donaghy, N McConville for Watters, N Grimley for McKenna (BC).

Referee: A Nolan (Wicklow).