Villagers into next stages as they extend winning sequence

Waringstown's Gary Kidd in action.
Waringstown's Gary Kidd in action.

Waringstown extended their unbeaten run this season to six matches after progressing in both the RSA Irish Cup and Ulster Bank NCU Challenge Cup at the weekend.

The villagers cruised into the Challenge Cup last eight after Saturday’s five-wicket win over a determined Derriaghy side at Queensway.

However, the following day was not as comfortable as Terenure from Dublin gave Lee Nelson’s men a real scare.

With rain threatening for later in the day, the Dubliners put Waringstown into bat in testing conditions.

James Hall and James McCollum did well to survive a searching new-ball spell from Dave Langford-Smith, the former Ireland bowler, but just as it looked like they had done the hard work, both players went in quick succession.

McCollum made 14 before he was the victim of a brilliant catch low down and Hall departed for 23.

With Kyle McCallan and then wicketkeeper Jonathan Bushe falling cheaply, Waringstown were in some trouble on 69 for four and that became 81 for five when Nelson fell for 25.

It was another example of Waringstown’s batsmen getting starts but not going on and it needed a partnership for the fifth wicket between professional Shaheen Khan and Greg Thompson to drag them out of trouble.

The 52-run stand took Waringstown through to 133 for five but Thompson’s departure for 23 started another dramatic batting collapse.

The last five Waringstown wickets fell for just 45 runs with only Khan averting a complete disaster.

The South African batted beautifully, striking five fours and a six in making 49 from just 45 balls.

Waringstown’s total of 178 all out would have made them very uneasy especially with rain making a reduced target a possibility.

However, the outstanding Khan struck two early blows with the ball, with Lee Nelson catching Moreton at mid-off and wickekeeper Bushe diving to take Ted Williamson.

With the dangerous Conor Kelly seeing a slog sweep off Gary Kidd flying straight into Andrew Mitchell’s hands at deep mid-wicket and Corie Dickeson the victim of an incredible catch by Khan at mid-on, much hinged on Dave Langford-Smith, the big-hitting former Ireland international.

However, as he attempted a big hit down the ground off Thompson, James McCollum took a fine low catch at long-off.

Umar Jehangir struck three fours and two sixes, but he was last to go for 37, giving Kidd his fourth victim, as Terenure were bowled out for 104.

The win has booked a mouthwatering second round tie with Railway Union at The Lawn next month.

Both O’Brien brothers, Kevin and Niall, the Ireland internationals are set to play in the game for the Dubliners.

On Saturday the villagers initially looked on course for a very quick victory, with wickets from Khan (2-6), left-arm paceman Phil Eaglestone and Kidd (2-22) reducing Derriaghy to 32 for four.

But professional Kaushik Aphale, who often scored heavily against Waringstown when he was with Ballymena in the top flight, top scored with 65 to help Derriaghy to 132.

The Section One team had the consolation of taking five Waringstown wickets as the villagers took too many liberties with the bat.

A typically aggressive 29 not out from Greg Thompson finished proceedings with more than 24 overs to spare but Nelson will be looking for more discipline from his batsmen in the weeks to come.

Waringstown are involved in cup action once again this weekend as Fox Lodge are the visitors in the Clubturf Ulster Cup on Saturday.

The North West side have won at The Lawn in this competition in the past but they were routed by Waringstown last season.

The draw for the Challenge Cup will take place next week.