Accused of trying to murder his brother
A 28-year-old man, charged with attempting to murder his brother, is to be released on bail pending an approved address.
Martin Leo Quirke from Obins Avenue, Portadown faces a number of charges after an incident in which his brother was stabbed five times last weekend (May 24).
Quirke’s solicitor, Joe McVeigh of KRW Law, said his client would be pleading self defence to the charges which include grievous bodily harm with intent, attempted murder, two counts of possession of an offensive weapon namely a kitchen knife and a hurley bat, threats to kill, common assault and criminal damage.
At Craigavon Magistrates Court, sitting in Lisburn, a police officer objected to bail.
The officer said police responded to reports that a 22-year-old had been stabbed.
The officer added that the defendant said his younger brother had came at him with a knife. Mr McVeigh said his client had never had to have a bail application before and couldn’t be before the court’s video link as he was under 14 day quarantine in prison.
He said his client had provided an address several miles from the complainant. He added that the complainant had ‘a history of violence’ and was known to the police. Mr McVeigh said the complainant attacked his client. “This is a clear case of self defence.”
He added: “When the inspector describes him as a vulnerable adult, he is six feet tall and built like a yard wall.” And said that his client was of slight build and smaller.
He added that when interviewed the defendant was ‘tearful and remorseful but felt that he had no option’.
District Judge Amanda Henderson said: “This is clearly a very, very serious incident with five separate stab wounds to the injured party.”
She added that there is a history between the brothers and both were armed with weapons.
The defendant is to be released on £500 bail pending an address approved by the PSNI. He is banned from entering Portadown. The case was adjourned until June 26.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper whenever you are able to do so.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper when you can safely.
You can also enjoy unlimited access to the best news from across Northern Ireland and the UK by subscribing to newsletter.co.uk
With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.newsletter.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.